This course offers an unmatched opportunity to understand the basic principles of geology and prospecting using Cripple Creek and the Pikes Peak region as a backdrop for discussion.
- Experience an in-depth examination of the early geological surveys and expeditions to Colorado
- Discover Colorado's mining heritage from local authors and historians
- Explore modern mining methods
- Discover the basics of rocks and minerals
- Learn where minerals and gems can be found in Colorado
- Discover the fundamentals of paleontology
- Learn about the basics of geologic and topographic maps
- Review field and collection techniques, filed photography, and how to build and document a rock and mineral collection
- All participants will receive a database to record their rock, mineral, and fossil collections
- Tour of the Cripple Creek and Victor Gold Mine and the Cripple Creek District Museum
This two-day class fills quickly! Call the Cripple Creek Parks and Recreation office today at (719) 689-3514 to reserve your spot in the class. The course runs from 9 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on both Saturday and Sunday. The course fee is $99.00 and includes all fees, materials, and course completion certificate. Please call the J.P. McGill's/Midnight Rose Casino at (800) 635-5825 to reserve your room for Saturday night at the special rate of $49.95 + tax -- you MUST ask for the Cripple Creek School of Prospecting special rate. NOTE: The hotel fee, which is NOT included and must be paid separately, includes breakfast. All other meals are on your own.